Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Internet Radio Faves: KCRW & KEXP



I listen to two Internet radio stations all the time: KCRW and KEXP.

Both of these are terrestrial stations broadcasting from Los Angeles and Seattle, respectively. But they have both aggressively expanded into webcasting. What makes these different, and why I like them better than services like Aol Radio or even Pandora, is that there are specific real live DJs whose taste I can count on for great new music.

My favorite DJs:

John in the Morning, KEXP
. John plays a mix of indie, hiphop, electronic, alt-country--basically all the good stuff that I love. He also busts out a 1990s tune at just the right time--in particular, he is famous for playing Ned's Atomic Dustbin's classic "Grey Cell Green." That and a Mint Royale/De La Soul collaboration. But mostly it's the new music that I tune in for.

Jason Bentley, KCRW. This is a public radio station like none other. One big difference is that it is in LA and the DJs are all keyed in to the underground as well as above ground music scenes. Jason Bentley is an incomparable DJ playing electronic and dance music.

No comments: