Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jill Wilson-TV Viewing

This is Jill Wilson and I chose to record the TV I watched on Tuesday, November 4th, 2008. This was a pretty typical day in terms of watching TV. I usually only watch TV about 3 times a week, so this was just one of those days. The amount of TV that I viewed was pretty typical. I usually watch 2-3 shows during the day, and then I use TV to fall asleep at night, because I like a little noise, but I never actually watch the programs during this time. I don't really have a typical show that I just have to see every week. I usually just tune into whatever looks good at the time. Which is usually the Food Network, TLC, Discovery, or something on one of the major networks. This is because I never really know what my schedule is going to be like, which leads me to watch whatever I can whenever I can. On Tuesday, I watched two shows, both in which I had seen before, these were just different episodes. I watched The Price is Right on channel 10 (KZTV) and Quick Fix meals with Robin Miller on channel 231 (FOOD). I didn't miss any shows that I wished I could have watched because I have no idea what time any particular shows come on. I just watch TV whenever I get a chance, and hope there is something interesting on.

I didn't watch any TV shows that weren't on my TV. I usually don't either, because I am either at my house or at school, and occasionally I'll be at a friends or at my parent's house. I didn't watch any TV online, and I have to say I never have before. I didn't watch TV at a friends because I didn't go to any of my friend's houses yesterday and I didn't watch any DVDs either. Yesterday was my husband's birthday, so we had all of my family over and all of his as well. So I was working on dinner, but while I was working on dinner, they were all watching the Presidential Election for 2008 and I couldn't help but listen as I was making dinner. Every once in awhile I would go in to say something or ask a question and watch a little bit that was on TV. So while I wasn't actually tuned into the show, I was still aware of what was going on.

I thought the process of having to write down my TV viewing made me think of my TV habits long ago. I used to watch a lot more TV than I do now, basically because I have a lot more going on now. I never really change the channel once I'm on a show. I'm not really one of those people that changes the channel all the time, but my husband is. The only way I'll change during the middle of a show is if I don't like something that it is portraying. I feel that as I get older I watch less TV. I think for the most part writing down what you watch is reliable. Although these surveys are pretty accurate, there are also people who leave their TVs on all day and aren't even watching, or they are watching the show, but say writing a paper at the same time, so they aren't really watching. There are many of the surveys that I'm sure are super accurate and some others, not so much.

No comments: