Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kimberly Kahanek
Logged: 10-3-08

3. My day of viewing was not typical at all because I seldom watch television. I basically had to set the evening aside just for this assignment. I’m familiar with all four of the shows I watched but they aren’t shows that I watch every single week because there isn’t a show I watch every single week.

4. My roommate watched television with me this particular night which is funny because it was probably the second time in our 6 months of living together that we have ever sat and watched something together. I told him about the assignment and we ended up making some popcorn and discussing everything we watched.

5. I discovered a few things by logging my personal tv viewing. One, I really feel like I don’t enjoy tv as much as the average person. I actually wish I liked it because I feel like I am at some kind of social disadvantage for not. Also, I wanted to flip channels the entire time. It was very difficult to sit and watch just one show for at least 15 minutes. I kept thinking, “What if there’s something else on?” I refused to flip channels because then it would screw up my time slots. I definitely would not be a reliable journalist for television ratings. As for the general public, I do have some doubts about the accuracy. I feel like most people would probably be experiencing the same problem as myself—they may want to flip the channel but remember they’re logging so end up watching something they are not completely interested in. This, of course, is with the exception of the shows that viewers watch every single week. I think the journals are more ineffective when logging just general television watching like I did.

No comments: