Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What's on the Tube?

James Briones

11/2/08





As a typical day, especially in my youth, watching television on Sunday was by far the worst in watching television programming. For one Sunday early mornings are overrun with religious programming. The chance of finding something good to watch early on Sunday morning is slim. Usually now during Sunday mornings I either sleep in or play video games and find something to pass the time till prime time viewing. Normally now I miss shows I wished could watch during the week like Heroes, Chuck and UFC but work and school prevent me from doing so. Of course I could watch any shows from NBC online but I just don't have time for that either. However, when prime time rolls around I usually spend my time watching Fox's animation domination where I can see the Simpson's, King of the Hill and Family guy. But now I been missing the new Family Guy episodes due to it clashing with HBO's True Blood. A show that I could see on demand or later at 10 but I also watch Dexter on Showtime which has the same sort of dilemma. Of course I could put these shows off and watch them later but I rarely have time during the week and plus I really want to see what happens in the next episode.

If I'm not watching television programs on my TV then I'm probably not watching anything at all. I 'm really picky about what I watch and often times if I'm somewhere else where there's a TV I probably would not care to watch unless it appeals to me. That is to say that if it is not to my liking that I would not get up and walk away from where I am, I would just tune it out. It would have to be a very horrible television program to make me leave the area or think about asking the owner to change it. There are times though that I see a really fun episode or Saturday Night Live skit that will make me go searching through the Internet to watch it again but even that is slim because I find it hard to find the shows or clips I'm looking for.



The overall process of filling out the Nielsen journal was not necessarily inconvenient but rather fits in to my overall hate of filling out surveys, although from what I filled out it didn't take too long or was in any bit strenuous. But of course I have never had to fill out a Nielsen journal before so I'm pretty sure there is more to it than that one paper I filled out. In fact I imagine it is pretty similar to same type of journal I fill out for radio station ratings. I would say from what I filled out is that one paper alone does not truly showcase the amount of TV I watch. For one my TV is on most of the time regardless if I'm watching TV, DVDs or playing video games. I like to leave it on as almost a weird way of not being alone in my room. On average I would say that I watch 4 hours and 30 minutes of television each day. So I for one can not say if these Nielsen journals are a reliable resource because it all depends. For one, people are probably like me in the fact that when I fill any survey I try not to think about too much and just try to finish it quickly and move on with my life. But I don't see the reason why people would want to answer wrong or not at all on these journals. As long as the fill them out to the best of their knowledge than they should remain reliable.

No comments: